Tomorrow
Hey ma,
Don’t turn your eyes away from that rugged figure labouring in the distance. Don’t close your heart to that man sweating amongst the heavy stone and the thick dust. Don’t weep inside when you touch my rough hands Ma. Your crying will only break my spirit and strong will. Ma, many would have given up on their sons long ago and even disowned them but i am glad to see you every morning and evening when i come home from work. I know work at the quarry isn’t one of status. It isn’t worth the years i’ve spent in school working for the future. I know it is not worth the dreams i’ve had my whole life.
Ma, you have seen me wearing out shoes and suits walking from office to office, business to business. You have seen me adding water to deodorants to at least make sure i have something for tomorrow. I’ve tried today ma, but it just isn’t my time, tomorrow Ma, tomorrow might be my day. I walk without good clothes and shoes, but Ma, my will to live is beyond the tatters and the cracked soles. I’ll be stronger and more patient tomorrow. I shall walk longer and sweat harder. We are eating bitter vegetables today but tomorrow, i shall line your table with meat. You have only two pairs of cloth but ma, tomorrow, i’ll get you a whole set. Ma, those that laugh and scorn you for wasting resources in school won’t know where to hide their faces. Ma, my tomorrow seems clearer today than it did yesterday. I see a good family, a good job, a good future. When the dust settles Ma, you’ll be able to see what my eyes are seeing. Ma, peg all your hope while i place my bet on tomorrow, for ma, i see opportunity, i see a chance to start over again. Tomorrow shall pick me from the dusts. Tomorrow, your little peasant shall sit with kings. Pray for me ma so that i won’t fall into traps that shall pull me down. Pray that tomorrow, my road shall be smooth and the weather cool enough ma for when tomorrow comes, your son shall move from a ‘Footstubishi’ to a Mitsubishi.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog