They have always assured us our governments are
pregnant with hope, hope to deliver Africa from the clutches of poverty and
post-colonial oppression. We have been led into the wilderness by individuals
whose faces we’ve never seen. We have seen many self-proclaimed Moseses who
have promised us milk and honey, milk without cows, honey without bees and like
some brainless zombies, we have believed their lies like any good student does.
We claim we are learning but how many years should we spend in school to know
that we are going to the dogs? At this rate, we would graduate when everything
is lost and everybody is too dead to come to our graduation ceremonies. Yes i
agree we are a pregnant nation, but the last time the midwife checked, there
was no foetus. It was a phantom pregnancy. Don’t await a bundle of joy for you’ll
be disappointed. There is no bundle, there is no joy. Let them not lie to us, We
are on our own
I dreamed a dream I dreamed a dream, some night when I was asleep, of castles of gold and towers of bronze. I saw trees that never lost their fruit and hills whose ice never yielded to the heat. I dreamed of a sun that never went down and playtime that never came to an end, stories that did not stop flowing. When I woke up, I found myself in my tower of desolation, with crumbling walls and a disintegrated future. Outside the window I saw trees rendered barren by the overnight storm and hills stripped bare by the merciless sun. When I was young I dreamed a dream that I would never die, but that was before my nightmares grew teeth and started biting. I knew of the tree of love that grew at the centre of the universe but that was before my heart was shattered and blown away a million times. When I was young, I wished to live forever but now, caskets conjure my demons and funeral wails raise my hair. I had a dream, oh I had one, but when I started growing up, and begun seeing the differe...
Comments
Post a Comment