They have always assured us our governments are
pregnant with hope, hope to deliver Africa from the clutches of poverty and
post-colonial oppression. We have been led into the wilderness by individuals
whose faces we’ve never seen. We have seen many self-proclaimed Moseses who
have promised us milk and honey, milk without cows, honey without bees and like
some brainless zombies, we have believed their lies like any good student does.
We claim we are learning but how many years should we spend in school to know
that we are going to the dogs? At this rate, we would graduate when everything
is lost and everybody is too dead to come to our graduation ceremonies. Yes i
agree we are a pregnant nation, but the last time the midwife checked, there
was no foetus. It was a phantom pregnancy. Don’t await a bundle of joy for you’ll
be disappointed. There is no bundle, there is no joy. Let them not lie to us, We
are on our own
A LETTER TO SHE THAT JILTED ME Dearly beloved It’s been four months since you last walked out of my door. The loud bang that almost left my door in shreds and the sound of your suitcase zipper closing still haunts my sleep each and every night. Four months on, I still wake up at night only to cry myself to sleep. It is raining right now and how much more I miss you in this weather. The sleets fall while I press my face against the frosted glass hoping to catch a glimpse of you coming through the gates, your umbrella raised in all its grace. Everytime I think of that I smile but then remember it all is in the past. To be honest with you, I haven’t ever fully let go of you coz I see you in the skies at night, feel you rumble with the thunder and even experience your smooth caress when the wind blows. Your favourite song plays on the radio ever since you left and I sit down everytime to relive the memory of what we made, and oh, what naivety made us think this would last fore...
Comments
Post a Comment