When I become a hero
If the men come for me today, again, I shall let them toss me around just as they did yesterday, like the wind does to a stray paper. I shall let them drag me down, and across the fields with their horses. I shall let them call me names, and I shall let them, hold vigils for me. I shall be content to watch them, drag my name through the mud. I shall not flinch when their whips hit me on the back, nor will I be shaken when they chastise me with their scorpions, for I know that it is just but for a time. I know that there are many blank pages that I have to fill, and there is so hard a road that I have to walk, but I know that someday, I shall become a hero. I shall play a victim for some time, and like a bitter pill I will let their torture go down my throat, and I shall not weep or lament, because I know that someday when I become a hero, I shall look down at them, and they shall bow in supplication. They will kiss my feet, and they will write my name on their arms and chests. They shall carve my face inside their bones, and on the sides of their faces. For now, it is not a weakness when I watch them speak ill of me. I shall let those with a sharp tongue spear me with words of rancour and hatred. I will let those with their hands slap me till I’m raw, but someday when I become a hero, I shall stand high just so they can see, and their eyes be filled with shame. I will let them see then their hearts will flood with guilt. Oh time, I am a prisoner of time and fate, and someday I shall rebel, and they will set me free. I shall let them see the scars they inflicted on me, and they shall dress in ash and come to repent next to me. Someday when I become a hero, I’ll stand up at the pedestal and watch the long fall down below, and my heart shall shudder, not with the fear of what lay below but the sheer strength it took me to climb up high. I shall marvel at all the pain I took when I was climbing my way to the top, and I shall never come down from there again, perhaps only to collect my memories and scars, and to wear them with pride, for someday when I become  a hero, I shall know that my scars were truly deserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog