Why hast thou forsaken me?
The long fall to the hole with no end and no edge, the long drop into the dark deep where the sun never arrived, nor rain drops ever penetrated. Why hast thou forsaken me? Knives and shards of glass, steel wires and neglected nails will break my fall. It was bad out there, but it will be worse down here. I shall be a carcase soon, left to rot like all those who fell before me. You won the game, you won the battle, take your trophy and go on home. Take the trophy and walk home. Take the accolades, beat your chest and gloat to all those who care to listen. I tried battling you, angel of death, but how could I win when it is you who made me feel alive when dead? You taught me to find you in the noise; little did I know that you lurked behind every silent whisper, not in the whirlwind but deep in the heart of the breeze. For a moment I thought I had a reason to believe but nobody was really there to tell me that I was being stupid. Nobody was there to tell me that I was living a nightmare which had escaped my sleep and somehow extended into my day. But tell me, why hast thou forsaken me? If I could find a way to stay buoyant I would, but you snatched my wings and burnt them up. If I could find a way to stay afloat on this sea I would, but all I see are the remains of a shattered anchor and hungry sharks. You filled me up and made me even heavier. You knew the ship was going down but you never let me know. I don’t know why I swallowed each and every word that came out of your mouth and knelt to worship at your altar of love. You told me about forever, but I never knew it would be this short, for you indeed left me in turmoil and distress, a bothered soul in a battered body, a carrion roaming earth; a parched soul in the hearts of Sahara. You smote me with blindness and smeared my ears with debris so I couldn’t hear them call out. Tell me, lady, why hast thou forsaken me? When I was young and naive I fell in love with a spider. She spun beautiful silk and had very long and pretty legs. She had a pretty smile and red lips. She was a black widow. I would sit for hours and watch her choke the life out of flies then we would take rides on her back every evening till night came upon us. I never knew that she sucked me high and dry every time I closed my eyes. I did not know that when flies ran out she would choke and feed on me instead. I fell from grace when the web got too light for both of us. Tell me, lady, why hast thou forsaken me? Where are the words you used to tell me? Where are the hopes that I built on you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog